Vito's Ordination Song

More from Sufjan Stevens. This is from Michigan.

I always knew you.
In your mother's arms,
I have called your name.
I've an idea placed in your mind
To be a better man.
I've made a crown for you,
Put it in your room.
When the bridegroom comes,
There will be noise, there will be glad,
And a perfect bed.

And when you write a poem,
I know the words, I know the sounds
Before you write it down.
When you wear your clothes,
I wear them too, I wear your shoes,
And the jacket too.
I always knew you.
In your mother's arms,
I have called you son.
I've made amends between father and son.
Or if you haven't one:
Rest in my arms. Sleep in my bed.
There's a design to what I did and said.

Does this sound suspiciously like Jeremiah 29:11? "I know the plans I have for you..." This song comforts me. And I love the idea that when we put on clothes God is putting them on too (you know, because he lives in us). Beautiful song with beautiful images.

If you haven't bought any of Sufjan's stuff yet, you are missing out.

shalom, matt

0 comments: