Bathroom Etiquette

I had this thought at Starbucks whilst using the bathroom. To preface this I should let you know that I walked in on a guy who had just finished washing his hands (thank God), and who apparently doesn’t know how to lock a door. I mean, really, how hard is it to wait for the door to shut and push the little button in all the way? But I digress…

So, after “excuse me-ing,” and making sure that I locked the door, I had this thought: what is the acceptable response to someone knocking on a public bathroom that you happen to be occupying? I have tried several different wordings and all of them seem awkward and inappropriate to the situation. Generally, I just yell out, “Yeah?” Of course I don’t really expect a response to this, but being thrown into a desperate situation like that it’s usually the first thing that comes out of my mouth. It also comes off as somewhat rude, which is not my intent, but when you are under durress you will say things that you don't mean in a way you didn't intend. “Occupied” may be the most obvious and useful answer, but I feel like a tool when I say it, so I would rather come up with something fun but also to the point. Part of me just wants to be crude and yell out, “Bugger off, I’m dropping a deuce” whether I am or not. I know this would be much more fun, but not exactly polite.

The comment board is open and I welcome your suggestions to this dilemma.

shalom, matt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was there at about midnight tonight. I locked the door even. I guess that's beside the point. I would probably say "yeah," but I think it would quite interesting to yell out something about dropping a deuce. What would the reaction of someone be if you walked out and saw them? I think it would be pretty funny myself. That's just me though.

matt said...

Thank you. I think.

Like I said, I'll be posting more stuff of a kingdom oriented nature soon. I like randomness in-between the spiritual stuff, keeps my mind limber....or something like that.