Being Attentive to the Moment

I know I've talked about this before on my other blog (which is about to die a quick death...and if you listen closely you can hear the blogharbor company scream), but I don't understand how people can be so wrapped up in their own worlds that they miss the wonder of life that swirls about them on every side.

I went to the Children's Museum today with my son. Friday is my scheduled day off during the week (haven't actually been able to take a Friday in quite a few weeks) and I try to do something with my son, you know, daddy/boy bonding time. It's a time for us to sit around, burp and fart, then laugh hysterically about it, knowing that mommy can't yell at us for it. Occasionally we go somewhere, hence the trip to Indy. I noticed while Elijah was playing how many parents and grandparents were indifferent to what their children were doing. One grandparent was sitting on a bench reading. Reading! Call me annoying and nit-picky but it seems to me that the whole point of going with your children/grandchildren to such a place is to enjoy watching them discover, learn, and play. I can't stand watching parents with cell-phones glued to their heads all of the time, while their child is standing by wanting to do something fun.

More and more it seems I'm noticing what is a disturbing trend in parenting. Children seem to be more and more of an inconvenience to their parents, baggage, something to tote around with you like a purse or a piece of luggage. Why the freak would you bother having children if you aren't going to pour your heart and soul into raising them? This was a lesson I had to learn. I've been guilty of it, too (see previous post). I don't want to miss out on my son's life. I only get one shot at it with him. There is no going back to fix the errors. Please, for the love of God, stop having children if you aren't planning on raising them. If you consider them a nuisance or "just something you should do as an adult" then don't bother.


Okay, I'm done ranting. Have a nice day.


shalom, matt

1 comments:

matt said...

"I pray everyday that I never do that to my children when I have them."

You will. We all do. We are human. Children are pretty forgiving I've found.