Mustard Seeds and Revolution


A couple weeks ago, during our Sanctuary worship service, we allowed for the students to plant mustard seeds in a pot of soil, symbolizing metaphorically our desire for our actions to be used in the kingdom to bring about change. The mustard seed is tiny, about the size of the head of a pin in diameter, doesn't look like much. Honestly, I didn't expect much out of the seeds. I bought them at Walmart and didn't think that they would grow at all. Several days later I happened to look in the pot of soil on my shelf and noticed buds starting to sprout. I was ecstatic. So I started watering them and three weeks later we have what you now see above. Most of the sprouts have grown over the top of the rim and even reach toward the sunlight (I turned them away from the window so that they would grow back toward the middle).

Do I need to draw the obvious lessons from this ongoing metaphor of the kingdom. I think Jesus was on to something in his parable of the mustard seed?

What do you think?

shalom, matt

1 comments:

thebaysingerboy said...

very radical