Doing Right

What is it about doing the right thing, even a difficult thing, that fills us with a sense of peace? Have you ever noticed this? It seems that more and more I've become aware of this "other," this sense of something grander, more beautiful, that seems to follow shortly after having done something right, humbled myself, done the difficult thing, etc. I feel more alive, more at rest, more contented with my circumstances. And more human. Maybe that's it. I feel more human, like something has awakened within me, something I dare not let crawl back into sleepy hibernation, something that I long to make a permanent reality in my day to day existence, not fleeting like shifting shadows or spring breezes. Is this how Jesus felt? Is this what it's feels like to live the Way, to live rightly, aligning yourself with God's will for your day to day ordinariness?

I want to be the kind of person that does the right thing. And not just the big things, but the small sacrifices, acts of love and generosity, the times of humility and humiliation for the greater good, the invisible actions that only God sees. I want to be that guy.

shalom, matt

0 comments: