AICM Journal Entry #6

1.5.07

This has been an extraordinary week, a life and kingdom affirming week, full of laughter and smiling faces.

I've been listening to Tom Waits this week, and am, in fact, listening to him right now as I write. He has a song called Hold On where he sings

Inside your head there's a record that's playing a song called, hold on
Hold on, hold on
Baby, gotta hold on
Take my hand
Standing right here
You gotta hold on.

It seems to be the message that best fits the children we minister to: hold on. Hold on through abuse and neglect, trial and temptation, loneliness and isolation, alcoholism and drug addiction. Come to think of it, this is the message that best fits my life, too. "Hold on, Matt. Hold on. I'm coming soon to make it right and to take you home. Hold on." The biblical, million dollar word for this is persevere. Hang on.

Holding on is one of the transforming gifts I've received here, among others. I've found a renewed sense of awe at the power and depth of the written Word and a renewed dedication to be more disciplined in attending to it with my mind AND my heart. Not only this but also disciplining myself to more diligent in contemplative prayer and learning the art of praying ceaselessly. Of all places for this desire to surface it came through my reading of Salinger's book Franny and Zooey. It was a combination of that and being in a place where the entirety of your being is focused on God and community of Christ. As always I take many photos with me, both on my camera and in my memory. Sounds and sights that cameras can't capture, and even if they could, it would be a massive disappointment, because some photos can't capture all the eye can take in.

Of all I take with me though the greatest gift is my continual formation in living a missional life back home, in my home and ministry and within my community, full of souls who haven't yet found the joy of living in the way of Jesus.

shalom, matt

1 comments:

Brad Polley said...

I'm cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog.