Why Jesus Came, part 4

The “Glutton” and “Drunkard”

The Son of Man came eating and drinking. __Matthew 11:19__


I love the fact that Jesus was belittled by “religious” people, lied about, and had ugly rumors spread about him, namely, that he was a raging drunk and notorious over-indulgent eater. I love this fact because it means he liked to have a good time hanging out with “the wrong people.” Take note: you don’t get accused of being a drunk unless you put back a little (or more than a little, perhaps) wine now and then (sorry, all you fundies out there: Jesus was a drinker). And you don’t get accused of being a giant over-eating fatty unless you are a fan of the feast. Jesus desired to be where people were--the “wrong” people, who, incidentally, happen to be the “right” people in Jesus’ view. He was ill-concerned with the opinions and stances of the religious community. Why aren’t more of us being accused of being a drunk and a glutton? Why aren’t more of us getting in trouble with the religious “authorities” for hanging out with the “wrong” people, in the “wrong” places? If Jesus came to eat and drink with tax collectors, sinners, whores, liars, and the outcast of Israel, then why aren’t we, His Body, doing the same thing?


At the end of this passage Jesus says, “Wisdom is proved right by here actions.” I’ve never noticed that part of the passage. Jesus seems to be outright saying, “Look, the wisest thing I can do is hang out with these people, eating their food and drinking their wine. My wisdom is proved by what I’m doing with them.” 


May we be this wise. May our actions prove Jesus’ wisdom. May we be “gluttons” and “drunkards” for the sake of the kingdom. 


Jesus came to eat and drink with the last and the least.


shalom, matt

2 comments:

mrandall said...

I guess I am being like Jesus. And all this time I've been told I wasn't. Eat, drink and be merry!

mrandall said...

I think that last passage is saying let the result of His hanging out with them vindicate the hanging out with them. The wisdom is revealed more by what He's done FOR them rather that what He's done WITH them.