Victor Hugo and My House

I've been reading Les Miserables over the last couple days. Yes, I know it's French in nature. Yes, they are incredibly snooty and pompous about being French. Yes, they invented the fry and their own version of toast. But the book is really good. It was recommended to me by a couple people as being incredibly redemptive in theme. So far it has not disappointed. The book version that I have (which is actually abridged, meaning some unnecessary parts have been taken out by the editor) is over 800 pages. I saw some versions that were over 1300 pages (I'm assuming they are unabridged). The print is small. There are no pictures or pop-ups. I came across a passage in the book, a conversation between the bishop and the main character of the book, Jean Valjean.

For a little background info: Jean Valjean has just been released from 19 years of imprisonment for stealing bread to feed his family (also a number of escape attempts added length to the sentence). He enters the town where the bishop resides and is subsequently turned away by every inn, stable and home that he asks for rest and nourishment. He carries a passport with him that labels him as a convict and "a dangerous man." He is directed to the home of the bishop, and in a last ditch effort to find food and shelter he bangs upon the door and enters into the home of the bishop (who lives with his two sisters). He declares who he is, that he is "dangerous," and then asks for food and shelter. Here is the bishop's response:

"You need not tell me who you are. This is not my house; it is the house of Christ. It does not ask any comer whether he has a name, but whether he has an affliction. You are suffering; you are hungry and thirsty; be welcome. And do not thank me; do not tell me that I take you into my house. This is the home of no man, except him who needs an asylum. I tell you, who are a traveler, that you are more at home here than I; whatever is here is yours. What need have I to know your name? Besides, before you told me, I knew it."

The man opened his eyes in astonishment:
"Really? You knew my name?"

"Yes," answered the bishop, "your name is my brother."

I want my home, my life to be like that of the bishops. I want my home to be a place of refuge, of asylum. A place for the weary and afflicted to come and find hope and healing and rest. This is the hospitality of Christ, of the early church, and hopefully of you and I.

shalom, matt

1 comments:

Brad Polley said...

Don't forget about this little gem: "As to the bishop, the reason for this is explained, or at least pointed at in these three lines written by him in the margin of a Bible: 'This is the shade of meaning; the door of a physician should never be closed; the door of a priest should always be open.'"