And Furthermore... (Other Thoughts on Lesson 9)

Given the events of the previous weekend, a number of things happening that I would have never foreseen occurring, my message from last week seems rather apropos (look it up if you have to) and timely. Jesus tells us to love, forgive and do good to those that hurt us, hate us, persecute us, mistreat us, and curse us. In the context of the recent events I'm discovering how difficult it is to actually live that out for people who are in a given situation that would require them to live this teaching out. I struggle, wondering if I am up to living this teaching out, fighting against my own flesh and bitter hatred--"the beast in me" according to Johnny Cash--to rise above the evil and overcome it with good. I don't know if I could. I really don't. This bothers me. More than you can know. Because every part of me desires to live the life of Jesus in every way possible. Right here. Right now. Today. If I'm ever faced with situations like some of my brothers and sisters in Christ have been faced with recently, I hope God will strengthen me to stand up against the evil and defuse it with good, with love, with life, with light.

shalom, matt

1 comments:

Korin said...

so hard to forgive sometimes isn't it? by the way... since I NEED to write poetry when I'm upset, there is a poem dedicated to Josh and Anna on my blog