And Furthermore... (Other Thoughts on Lesson 8)

So my brother and I were talking about last night's lesson and he said when he taught it he used an analogy with them that he thought he would regret, but that I think really puts the idea of cleansing the inside first into perspective for us. To just review briefly we talked last night about how outward appearances and acts don't amount to much if your heart--the inside of the cup--is filthy dirty. My brother said this: If you take a turd and dress it up in a tuxedo, it's still a turd. It may be a well-dressed turd, but it's still a turd. If you even scrub the turd, it's still a turd. You have to throw out the turd. That's the key.

Now, folks, I'll be real honest with you. I can understand that kind of logic. You see, very simply put, there is something in our nature that Christ must despose of before we can begin to live rightly the kingdom of God, the Bible calls it our sin-nature. When we say "yes" to Jesus he comes in and throws out the "turd," so to speak and replaces it with his own nature, which allows us the means and ability to say "yes" to and live out his way of life.

Stop dressing up the turd and throw it out.

shalom, matt

p.s. My apologies for the crudeness of the post, but I figure if Ezekiel can be crude to get the point across then I can, too.

0 comments: