Secular Stuff, or What Could Be My Own Personal Highway to Hell (but only if I'm wrong, which I don't think I am)

I like Harry Potter. I’ve read all the books and seen all the movies. I had the last book on the day it came out. I read it in two days.

Strangely, they didn’t turn me into a warlock, I’ve never tried to cast a spell on someone or perform “the killing curse” on my next-door neighbor.

I like music that you won’t find in a store labeled “Christian” (how can a building made of lifeless stone, wood or metal be “Christian”?). I like Radiohead, Band of Horses, Stereolab, Sigur Ros, Joseph Arthur, The Shins, and I even enjoy some Ozzy Osbourne, Guns-n-Roses, and Metallica on occasion. I generally avoid music that is labeled “Christian” because I generally want to attach another label to it—“crappy” (with the exception of David Crowder Band, Waterdeep, and a couple other random artists).  

Strangely, I have not turned into a wife-beating, alcoholic, socio-path who punches random people because he is angry all the time.

I watch movies that have profanity and violence in them, mostly because I like them, and, well, because I can. Movies like The Big Lebowski, Hi Fidelity, and Office Space top my list of desert-island, all-time top five movies.

Strangely, I haven’t turned into a lazy, foul-mouthed, philandering, crazy Vietnam veteran who hangs out in bowling alleys (see those movies and you’ll get my references).

There is an attitude prevalent today that has survived mainly because of evangelical fear and ignorance (funny how those two usually end up together…) that says we should avoid all forms of “secular” entertainment. The rationale being that all of these things are bad and will lead us, to quote AC/DC (another band I listen to on occasion, as does my 5-year old), down “a highway to hell.” I only briefly bought into this attitude, but then I realized something: no matter how many times I watched, listened to, or read “secular” entertainment nothing ever really changed in who I was.

I think fundamentalism has vastly overplayed their collective hand when it comes to the influence of secular entertainment on our “spiritual” lives (by the way the word “spiritual” never appears in Scripture; all of life is “spiritual”). It’s not that these things can’t influence to some degree, but what I think you’ll find is that where there has been influence there will be a whole catalog of problems lurking underneath the surface. When two kids shot up a Colorado high school several years ago everyone started blaming violent video games. Folks, violent video games were only the tip of the iceberg. Video games don’t make people kill other people. Depression, being cast off to the side by classmates, bullying—these lead people to kill other people.

Most people when they watch a movie, read a book, listen to a band, or attend a concert, immediately forget whatever “message” the respective artist, writer, etc. was trying to get across. Most Americans are influenced by ever-changing fads to the extent that nothing is able to take root for any length of time. This is why I think “Christians” are not in nearly as much danger from secular entertainment as "fundies" tend to think they are. There isn’t time to be influenced negatively; something else is coming down the pike before the message is even into your brain. Further, most people, especially teenagers, don’t even realize that there is a message that is being presented to them. How can there be negative influence if there is not even an awareness of the negative influence? You have to let negative influence in. If you aren’t looking for it, then you can’t find it. 

Additionally, if you are influenced by this stuff then you already had major problems running through you like an underground river. On the surface it looks like the movie or the music was the problem, when all along there has been a wellspring of hatred, bitterness, anger, malice, rage, depression, anxiety, fear and a legion of other inhabitants from Pandora’s box.

So here’s the thing: I’m not telling you to go out and just go hog-wild watching, listening to, reading, etc. everything and anything that comes into your radar. You aren’t a sponge. Don’t just soak in everything. Discern. Turn your radar on. Know your own weaknesses and avoid what may prey upon those weaknesses. But remember that you are free to enjoy life and that truth can be found in some of the strangest places, places you might never look if you don’t stop watching Left Behind or step foot outside the doors of your local Christian bookstore.

shalom, matt

 

4 comments:

mike-daddy said...

I probably won't print this one for your mom. I don't think you have the right to label people who choose not to participate in watching, listening, or reading such items and choose to listen to "Christian music" or other "Christian" items as bad either. We have been called not to be of this world. People who do not have a background such as yours do not have the discernment to judge for themselves. I'm not sure I can buy all of your arguements.

matt said...

once again, dear father, you have vastly missed my point. nowhere do I label anyone. i don't care what people listen to, watch, read, etc. they have their likes and i have mine. in fact, i tell people at the end of the article to use their God-given judgment, knowing their weaknesses, etc. to make decisions about what the watch or listen to.

my whole point was that we think these "bad" things are going to morally bankrupt us and they just don't. nor does all of the "Christian" stuff somehow make us more Godly.

nice misuse of a Scripture passage, too, by the way. just because i listen to AC/DC doesn't mean i'm "of the world." that's more about an entire system of values.

remind me to punch you in the neck when i see you next.

mike-daddy said...

Bring your lunch buddy. Just maybe I'm not the only one who as you say "misses your point"

matt said...

yeah, but that's the problem with blogs isn't it? there is no way to tell what a person really means because we can read into it whatever we want. kind of like when we interpret the Bible.

at least i didn't say freakin' or my wife is hot.